The Spaceship Company (TSC) is an affiliate of Virgin Galactic as a space-system manufacturing organization. Headquartered at Mojave Air and Space Port in Mojave, California, it is building and testing a fleet of WhiteKnightTwo carrier aircraft and SpaceShipTwo reusable spaceships that, together, form Virgin Galactic’s human spaceflight system. Like many Virgin companies across the world, its team of over 350 talented and dedicated engineers, technicians and professionals are drawn together by a willingness to disrupt and challenge the status quo and deliver innovative aerospace solutions to our customers’ needs. TSC’s extensive capabilities encompass preliminary vehicle design and analysis, manufacturing, ground testing, flight testing and post-delivery support.
TSC and the greater Virgin Organization have a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Who You Are
TSC is seeking an avionics systems engineer to work with the production development of the avionics (hardware and software) for the WhiteknightTwo (WK2) and SpaceshipTwo (SS2) vehicles. A working version of the avionics exists on the development vehicles designed and built by Scaled Composites. The position includes both avionics systems tasks and hands-on design, development, and test tasks. The scope of the avionics systems engineering position includes: flight avionics hardware, signal conditioning, data acquisition, actuator control, RF communication, wire harness elements, flight software including hardware interface, vehicle guidance, navigation, control, fault tolerance, ground-support electronics hardware and software, and integrated vehicle health monitoring.
• System integration design for avionic equipment in aircraft/spacecraft including preparation of schematics and wiring harness drawings
• Prepare ground test plans and flight test plans for avionics equipment evaluation
• Assist in the preparation of FAA AST Part 400 vehicle licensing documents related to avionics systems
• Develop TSC avionics specifications and ensure equipment compliance
• Coordinate requirements development, hardware / software design, verification, and validation activities
• Responsible for the technical performance of the avionics system
• Develop solutions to address hardware and software obsolescence
Must have B.Sc. Electrical Engineering
• 3-5 or more years of relevant avionics engineering experience on development aircraft and/or spacecraft
• Must possess considerable hands-on electrical / electro-mechanical design experience developing mission-critical hardware and software
• Skill applying C++ and embedded software programming to avionics on the vehicles and simulators
• Experience with DO-178 and DO-254 is a plus
• Experience must encompass full project life cycle: inception thru product delivery
• Must understand the systems engineering process
• Must have the ability to trouble shoot electromechanical systems including fault tree analysis
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
The Spaceship Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Spaceship Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.